Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bedbugs!

I can remember my adopted grandma saying; "Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!"
I thought she was crazy, like there was a such thing as a "bedbug."
Turns out, there is!
California alone saw the reported cases of bedbugs by exterminators rise from 31 to over 34,000 in just one year.
High end stores in New York City have had to close over suspected bedbug infestations.
Now the cases of bedbugs in Toronto are skyrocketing, with the cases in Waterloo Region following not far behind.
It kinda creeps me out that they could be anywhere, a movie theater, a clothing store, anywhere! They can be transported simply by brushing up against somebody's purse.

Why all of a sudden are we having a problem with a pest that we thought we had eradicated?
The answer: DDT.
DDT was used widely as a "pesticide nuclear bomb" if you will.
Once the effects of DDT were deemed harmful, it's use was stopped and more pest specific pesticides were introduced.
They have gradually made a comeback and as I understand the problem will get worse before it gets better.

I can't stand the thought of being eaten in my sleep...EWWW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment